June 5, 2013

Life is what you make it!

I thought I should write this down somewhere before I forget it.
My grandpa is in town and we got to make lunch and sit and talk for a while. It was so great. My dad and husband were there as well, but I really felt my grandpa was just talking to me. One thing he said that I want to take to heart was about how to go about life: He said not to be so serious and that you make life miserable or pleasant-just by your attitude. It has nothing to do with others. Just let things be, let people do what they're doing, don't be nosy, don't be controlling. Of course you can be straightforward and have differences of opinions, but do it with a kind heart and attitude. Spend time with your family. Teach your children, but let them make their own choices. Just enjoy life. Don't be so stressed about it.
Another point he made was that cars, money, houses and toys are fine and dandy, but what it really comes down to is family. You need to spend time with your family. At this point in the conversation he looks over at my dad and says, "We had all the toys, didn't we? Boat, trailer, horses..." and my dad nods. Then my grandpa says that they were fun and at times made life easier, but spending time with family and being with them in the end is all that matters.
Right now I have friends building and buying new homes, getting new (or better) cars and other things. I have tried really hard to not compare myself and situation with them because I know I am in a different place in life, in addition to the fact that I am a completely different person. It is hard to remember that and to not get jealous or start comparing. I really like what my grandpa said and I just pray in my heart that I can be more easygoing about life and just enjoy where I am.
Good luck to myself and not having to do it the hard way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment